Getting To Know Mold

Mold is a practically unavoidable aspect of domestic life. Mold (and mold spores) surround us in our environment, growing on wet surfaces and aiding in the decomposition of organic matter. Though numerous molds are not hazardous to humans, all are harmful and unfavorable in the home. If you understand or suspect, that mold is growing in your home, it is essential to repair the issue rapidly to prevent intensifying home repair work costs and to protect your family’s health.

There are hundreds of thousands of different types of mold – of which nearly 1000 can be discovered in houses throughout North America – much of which are fairly innocuous. Most of the molds produce known irritants that can create small to severe health problems. Still, others can present a more substantial health risk through their production of toxins.

All molds have one particular in common, however. All molds need moisture to grow. This is why wetness control is the essential component in combating mold in the home. You can never get rid of the existence of all mold spores in your home – spores may enter the house through windows, come in through exhaust vents, or can even be brought in from your clothing – however you can remove their reproducing grounds.

If the mold in your house extends across an area larger than about 10-15 square feet, then you need to not try to clean the mold yourself. Work with a professional and be safe. If the mold issue is less pervasive, or you capture it early on, then you may be able to remedy the problem yourself.

Step one is to fix the source of moisture, undoubtedly. Cleaning the mold without getting rid of the cause is futile. It will simply come back once again. So fix any plumbing issues or leakages initially.

Once the source of moisture has been eliminated, dry the area thoroughly. If the surface area the mold has grown on is made of permeable material or absorbent fibers then the product will need to be changed altogether. There merely isn’t any way to effectively remove all mold from things like carpet, carpet cushioning, ceiling tiles and so on. Nevertheless, mold can be scrubbed off of porcelain, laminate and other smooth surface areas with diluted detergent.

When cleaning up mold, take precautions to safeguard yourself and anybody else in the home. If at all possible, keep other occupants well away from the location being cleaned up, as the act of cleaning itself can in some cases eject mold spores into the air. Always use long gloves (such as rubber kitchen area gloves or industrial-strength neoprene, PVC, etc.). Avoid permitting the mold to come in direct contact with your skin. Secure your eyes with vent-less safety glasses. Secure yourself from breathing in spores by wearing an N-95 respirator (standard particle masks will not block spores).

As soon as you have cleared the mold from the area, dry the location thoroughly. After toweling the location, remain wetness can be removed with a handheld hair dryer. Keep an eye on the location regularly over the next 24 hours. Make sure that the location remains dry. If you can still smell mold or if areas begin to come back, then your cleanup was not total and you may need to think about calling in a professional.